June 25, 2009

Wind!

Summer stormed in with a windstorm that has barely stopped for days now. The wind blowing the meadow looks pretty, like a silvery-gold sea, but it is hard on the gardens. We've had a few bouts of rain, a couple intense, but all that moisture has been vacuumed up and blown away by the constant wind. This is quite unusual for here; wind in the winter, yes, wind in the summer, no. This is very stressful on plants, and makes the extra-necessary watering problematical. Where does sprinkler water go when it is blowing hard? Not where you want it, and to some degree, just AWAY. I've been trying to cope by watering early or late, and soaking when I do, but everywhere I turn things are wilting. Up until lately it wasn't warm enough to warrant shade cloth over the lath house, and now it is too windy to manage putting it up!
The plants that are faring best in this drying weather are the thicker leaved ones (succulents like sedums and Lewisia, the woody and dense-leaved Lavenders, and the tuberous rooted things like Lilies.) The strawberries have stopped setting (I wonder if the bees can even hang onto the flowers when it's like this?) and everything is gritty.
Of course I made that worse yesterday by mowing the yard with the tractor; the lawnmower battery was dead and I couldn't stand the tall weeds one more minute and there was the 6' mowing deck and though I'm not Norwegian, the whole 'Norwegian Bachelor Farmer' thing hooked me and before I knew it, I had rather swathed the yard. I promise, I am taking the battery to town today and will get it charged or a new one, tractor tracks aren't that lovely out the front door. . . :-)

1 comments:

Jess Mendez said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Sincerely,
Jesse