May 31, 2008

Too Close for Comfort/ guess who's coming for dinner

Last night a bear tried to get into the house. I'd heard clumping and banging, and thought it was a raccoon maybe, and stomped on the porch and yelled a bit, then went back to prepping for market. When I sat down for dinner, I heard the noise again, around the back this time; I looked out to see a black bear at the window, standing up and trying to get in. That window was closed, and I raced around and slammed the doors and windows shut. The bear, a yearling and probably just kicked out of the nest, snuffled around in the gardens a bit and wandered off down the hill. It did surprisingly little damage to the flower bed it had been standing in, just broke some auriculas (there's a pun in there) and columbines.

If it comes back, I will call fish and game to trap it and move it. And for a few days at least, no cooking anything too yummy smelling and letting it waft out the window!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh my gosh! What did your poor kitty think?!?!?

Judith said...

She'd been rather prickly all day, I suppose smelling the bear.

I heard from a friend this week a fellow we'd both known was pickup camping, cooking bacon in his camper, with the window open, and a bear pushed the window in and took the bacon---the bear went in and the man went running out! So I got off easy.