February 28, 2008

What's For Breakfast


Blood Orange Poundcake. I started with the recipe from my old Boston Cooking School cookbook, and came up with this:

1# butter, 1# sugar (2 cups, use part orange sugar made from the zest if you have it), 1# flour (4 cups) (I scanted this as I don't keep pastry flour on hand), 8 eggs separated, 1/2 cup fresh blood orange juice, 1/2 tsp salt, zest of one blood orange.
Cream the sugars, blend in egg yolks, salt, zest and juice. Add flour, and the egg whites (beaten or not) last.
You could use the traditional loaf pans (makes two) or a jelly roll pan. I used the latter as I didn't want to wait over an hour to cook: about 40-45 minutes @ 325F, until top springs back.

Serve with blood orange syrup and dark coffee.

Oh--and if you want to really gild the lily, make buttercream frosting with one of the oranges---it turns out strawberry-pink. Too sweet for poundcake though!

1 comments:

Amy said...

I came over here by following the link from Cold Climate Gardening. Hooray! Another blogger in a similar zone :)